Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dia de la Abby: #75 Skull of Triangles

This piece is inspired by various geometric artwork that I've seen recently.



I wanted to challenge myself by using only triangles. Many months ago, I collected paint swatches in 30 shades of blue from a hardware store. I had no project in mind when I collected them. I only thought they would be an interesting medium to work with. I included pieces with the paint color names, so the medium type was more obvious. I used the different shades and tones of the paint swatches to create shadows and highlights in the skull, and make flowers, vines, and leaves.


Every other Thursday in the 5.0 year, I will post my own Dia de la Abby creations   Every Thursday in the 4.0 year, I posted my Dia de la Abby creations and occasionally tutorials with instructions on how I made my pieces. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on  FacebookGoogle+ and/or Twitter.

6 comments:

Noah said...

Wow, this is possibly my favorite piece you've made yet! Amazing!!

Abby Davis said...

haha, thanks. It's one of the most tedious ones I've done. Now see if you can find the one rectangle...

Noah said...

Yeah often the most tedious things come out the best! Took a while, but I found it, though I'd say that's more of a trapezoid!

Abby Davis said...

Yeah, it is. After I was done, I realized I could have pulled up the trapezoid and coordinating large triangle, and replaced that section with a larger dark triangle. It was a puzzle like construction.

Tatman said...

Wow! Great work pulling this off, and the idea to leave the color names to show that they're paint samples is brilliant. Bravo!

Abby Davis said...

Thanks Tatman!